First Wedding of the Year

Collins Marquees arrived early on Thursday morning to set up their pole tent. They have been before and are a very helpful and efficient crew. They lined the pole tent and strung tiny lights from the roof and kindly twisted the wedding couple’s faux ivy down the poles which was very effective. (Collins Marquees - 01202-882-301 - )

It was another cloudless hot day and the garden was feeling the strain of a severe lack of rain but was still full of colour with the roses still in full bloom.

As the marquee went up, the bridal couple worked tirelessly in the heat getting props ready for the setting up the following day. These included a table plan made from old vinyl records which caused a little despair as one of the records warped and melted in the heat. The groom showed great skill in calligraphy.


The following day family and friends from the community that the couple belong to arrived to help get everything ready. There was a wonderfully friendly atmosphere to the day.

Bowls were lined with sliced oranges in the shade of the catalpa tree and filled with flowers before being stored in the cool of the porch. These proved to be a clue to the colour theme of the wedding day. The flowers were arranged by a friend of the family.


A flower wall was delivered ready for the setting up of the photo-booth - see the competed booth later. (David Bessant - 07952 513696 - ) Tables were laid, with more vinyl records in the centre to mark the numbers, more faux ivy was strung along the walls and a board of photographs put up on one of the tables in the tent. The caterer who was also part of the community set up her catering tent and began to fill the chiller trailer with food and drink. ( )

Later the disco arrived (Andrea Shenoi 07971 5874890) and set up and the groom’s fellow band musicians arranged their instruments on the stage. (They had hired their sound system from Basement Hire Sound and Lighting - 07813078998. ) The band started to tune up and play but sadly we had to curtail this as we had not warned the village that there would be music on the Friday night at well. The groom stayed late into the night sitting in the marquee finishing the video that he had prepared for the next day.

Saturday dawned and another baking hot day. The groomsmen and friends came to finish the photo-booth and two huge screens were delivered to show the groom’s video. (Modus Visual Communications - 01202-399-609 - )A friend came to finish off the wedding cake that she had made. This proved problematic as it was too high to fit the shelves of the chiller trailer. We plundered our wood store to find a suitable plank to make a new shelf and the cake was installed and decorated. The caterer and her helpers worked tirelessly at getting the salads ready to go with the Hog Roast being provided by Dorset Porkers later in the day.

A very smart rustic bar arrived and was quickly stocked with an amazing range of drink including the ingredients for some special cocktails for the day. (The Liquid Inn - 0795 261888)

Finally the flowers were put in place in the centre of the tables and everything was ready!

The couple were married in Ferndown and stopped on their way back to have photographs taken in the avenue at Moor Crichel. This took some time but guests were greeted with the most delicious canapes and glasses of pimms so were happy to wait and chat on the lawns or have their photographs taken in the booth.


Delicious smells rose from the hog roast cooking on the lawn by the marquee. (Dorset Porkers - 01258-839-115 - )This was served as soon as the couple arrived which they did in style driving up in a ???? which they had hired from Just Rolls Wedding Cars - 07713 070223 -

After their delicious meal and speeches, the wedding cake was served - a bit of a panic in the morning as the cake would not come off our temporary shelf! No problems as they served it on this, covered with orange voile from the house and sprinkled with little hearts. It looked beautiful decorated with real flowers.

Guests wandered through the gardens and chattered in the shade on the lawn. Some tried the Jenga and other games that had been set up for them. Photographs were taken in the grounds.

As the light faded, the band began to play and the bride and groom had their first dance. Dancing continued to the sound of band and disco until the bride and groom left at 10.45 to go on their honeymoon, through a tunnel of Sparklers held by their guests. The guests danced on until the witching hour of midnight when they too wended their way home.

Family and friends returned the following day to clear up.